Court of Protection

Empathetic advice delivered with understanding and care.

When it comes to Court of Protection matters, we are experts in our field. We have years of experience advising in situations where someone can no longer manage their own affairs, particularly when there may be a mental impairment.

This may be when a parent goes into care suffering from dementia or in situations where people have suffered an injury, leaving them unable to make their own decisions. In such cases, it is necessary to apply to the Court of Protection for a close family member or friend to be appointed as a Deputy to manage their money and pay for care fees and other outgoings.

The Court of Protection can be asked to make decisions on a wide range of different issues, which are usually divided into two main areas:

  • Welfare
  • Property and financial affairs


Welfare typically includes essential life decisions such as where someone should live, what type of care they should receive depending on their individual needs, what medical treatment should be given to them or who they should have contact with.

Property and Financial affairs

Where the person in question lacks capacity, this will help with access to money to pay bills and debts and honour other financial commitments and needs that the individual may have.

We can provide you with advice and guidance at all stages of the process, enabling complicated applications to be made accurately and helping to ease the burden of dealing with the Court.

To speak to us about Court of Protection matters, contact us on 0191 488 8200 or email us at